Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Classic French Sauces

Domi and I attended a cooking class at Whole Foods this past weekend, officially marking the end of our holiday celebrations (the class was my Christmas gift to Domi). The class was on classic French sauces and was taught by two young, energetic and seemingly knowledgeable chefs. They walked us through the three mother sauces (bechamel, veloute and espagnole) and two derivative sauces. Each sauce began with a demonstration by one of the chefs; then we would attempt to replicate the sauce with our own stove station (man was it nice cooking with gas again!). We were there for over three hours absorbing as much culinary information as possible and ended up producing five finger-licking sauces that we were able to bring home. We melted some cheese into the bechamel for some deliciously creamy fusilli and cheese. Tonight we cooked up two filet mignon cuts that were on sale at Central Market and smothered them in the Bordelaise sauce. Two sauces down, three to go.


We were too busy to remember to take pictures during the class, but Domi took the time to enter all the recipes into her Google Docs, so we can post those here:

Chasseur
Diable
Bechamel
Veloute
Bordelaise Espagnole

8 comments:

Matthew Piette said...

Sounds like a fun class. Does your Whole Foods offer a community dinner? Those are a lot of fun.

Domi said...

I'll have to look into that! They also have cooking demonstrations where an audience of about 30 can watch, but it's not hands on.

Alaric said...

My Whole Foods doesn't offer classes...which is surprising to me since it is where they filmed Emril Green. But I would love to take that class. I make meals just to have an excuse to make a sauce...

Dan Piette said...

Great looking recipes.

I have been inspired to upload a bunch of my recipes onto google docs as well, and will free them soon.

Our Whole FOods doesn't have classes, but our Sur La Table does...

bejeeble said...

I believe they have only been offering classes for a few months now and wouldn't be too surprised if this was the only Whole Foods doing so (the original location). It seems like the space they are using for their class kitchens was not designed for such purposes as there was a large column in the middle of the room adjacent to the demonstration counter.

I think Vetty converted all of Mark and Becky's recipes to Google Docs. It might be worth asking her to share those. Maybe we can start a Google Wave of recipes. Since I came up with the idea, I'll let someone else take care of the implementation.

Dan Piette said...

Are you on Google Wave?

I am, but I have not used it at all. I know I have a couple more invitations, and will send them out to whoever wants one.

I like the idea of on line recipes, though. But we'll have to watch the copyrights.

Dan Piette said...

Try this:

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B_Gqa9R3airdMGU0YjI4NDQtZTQ4OS00ZTYyLWI4OTEtZDc0ZjAyMjQ1ZTU1&hl=en

Dan

Domi said...

Hm. That link did not work for me. It said the doc was not available. Maybe I'll have to try it at home and see if that helps.